Alberta Health Services (AHS) Funded Physiotherapy

AHS Outpatient and Community Physiotherapy

AHS offers funded physiotherapy services for Albertans with specific physical concerns to help improve their function, better understand their condition and what they can do to be healthy and independent. The services cover concerns including:

  1. General joint or muscle conditions or injuries
  2. Recent fractures or orthopedic surgeries (e.g. bones and joints)
  3. Recent hip or knee replacements through group intervention

Banff Physical Therapy contracts with AHS to provide physiotherapy for post-fracture conditions, post-surgical conditions including total knee and hip replacements.

How To Access AHS-funded Physiotherapy

Albertans do not need a referral from a physician or healthcare professional to access AHS-funded physiotherapy. Here’s how to access services for each concern:

  1. For general joint or muscle conditions or injuries:

    Call the Rehabilitation Advice Line for general advice. Low-income Albertans may be eligible for virtual or in-person services. Call 1-833-379-0563 for more information (available Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.). For more information, visit

  2. For fractures and orthopedic surgeries including knee and hip replacements:

    Banff Physical Therapy offers services for post-fracture conditions and post-surgical conditions that happened within the last 12 weeks. In certain specific cases, Banff Physical Therapy can also have AHS approval if care needs to start later than 12 weeks.

Banff Physical Therapy Clinic Assessment

Book an appointment and we will help you to determine if you qualify @ Albertans can also choose to pay out of pocket or use third-party benefits to access the physiotherapy service provider of their choice, outside of the AHS contracts and outpatient services. For more information on AHS-funded physiotherapy, please see the AHS Outpatient and Community Physiotherapy FAQ.

WCB Funded Physiotherapy Services

WCB Protocol

Banff Physical therapy has a contract with Worker’s Compensation Board of Alberta to assess and treat people who are injured at work. If you are injured at work there are a few steps you need to follow.

  1. Tell your employer. After your notice of injury, your employer must report your injury to WCB within 72 hours if:
    • you need medical treatment beyond first aid
    • you cannot do your job beyond the day of the accident
  2. Tell your medical doctor. They will also report your injury to WCB
  3. Tell WCB and send your report of accident right away. You can get those forms from your employer or from the WCB website
  4. Our physiotherapists initial assessment and treatment will be covered by WCB. However, subsequent treatments should be approved by WCB. If the claim is accepted, Banff Physical Therapy can bill WCB directly. If your claim is not approved, the payments will be your responsibility and this can be covered by your extended health care insurance.

Learn more about the WCB.

Insurance coverage for Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA)

MVA Protocol

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident in Alberta, you can claim some medical benefit coverage. To be entitled to this coverage, you must report your injury within 10 business days of the collision. Physiotherapy coverage for MVA injuries can be covered under the Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols or under the section B protocol. Our physiotherapists will help you determine if you fall under protocol or not. They will also fill out forms to submit your claim and get approval from your insurance company to 10 or 21 physiotherapy visits. These visits will have to be used within 90 days of your motor vehicle accident.

Learn more about motor vehicle accidents.